Friday, October 24, 2008

Howdy, kids. It's Friday, and the weather is shaping up to be just beautiful here in Austin today.

My XBox finally showed up in the mail yesterday, so I would have to say that Microsoft did a pretty good job in fixing my console quickly without giving me a lot of hassle about warranty details. Now let's just hope it stays fixed.

Nothing else on the home front.

Has anyone else watched The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC? I started listening to Rachel Maddow on Air America just before they yanked the whole channel off the air here in Austin, and I typically found her to be intelligent, quick-witted, upbeat, and funny. She's got a decidedly left-leaning, progressive political slant, but she has a good sense of humor and she's not so militant that I think she would offend or turn off most moderates or independents who might tune in. Anyway, I heard a story about her on NPR yesterday, and apparently her new show on MSNBC is getting really strong ratings and some pretty good reviews. She seems to enjoy having Pat Buchanan appear as a guest on her show, providing a right wing counterpoint to her views, and it's kind of fun to watch the two of them go at it (they argue fairly vigorously, but somehow they seem to have a friendlier tone than the dialogue on a lot of these news channel shows- you almost get the sort of good natured debate that might occur at a family dinner table or between friends at some social event rather than the more hostile, acidic agument that you see on many other shows). Anyway, I like Rachel Maddow and I like her show. You know how the left wing pundits on a lot of shows seem completely clueless and unable to respond to ridiculous right wing attacks and accusations? (even though you know the appropriate response at home, and you're yelling it at the television, wondering why this so-called "expert" looks caught like a deer in the headlights) Well, Rachel Maddow doesn't do that. She's smart, she's quick on her feet, and she's articulate. Check her out, if you're interested in such things.
Well, I don't have much else to report on...
Oh yeah!! Operation Moon Pie Face Destroy, my friend and musical co-hort Eric Gottula's other band (he also plays in Mono Ensemble with me) is playing this Sunday at 9:00 p.m. at the Red Eyed Fly on Red River for Battle of the Bands X, an event put on by Raw Deal Productions. I think the whole event kicks off at about 7:00 p.m. and goes until midnight or so, but OMPFD is supposed to play at 9:00. If you don't have much going on Sunday night, you should roll down there and check them out. They really are a fun band to listen to, and they could use the fan support in order to make it to the next round. I think cover is supposed to be $5.
I guess that's it for now. Have a great weekend, and if you're in Austin, get out and enjoy that weather!!

No comments: