Tuesday, September 23, 2008

So.... not much to report today. Apparently Jamie made it through her tests okay, so I'm glad for that.

Last night I watched the first episode of the new season of Heroes. It was kind of weird. I think I'm going to reserve judgment on it until I've seen another episode or two.

I also watched another episode of Terminator: TSCC. It was good. Apparently Terminators are too heavy to swim.

I'm still following coverage of this $700 billion bailout. I'm suspicious of it and don't really trust all of the players involved, but the experts keep saying that we need to do something, and do it fast. Of course, it seems like the last time we got advice like that we ended up invading a country on the basis of incorrect intelligence. I don't know....

There was a massacre-type school shooting in Finland yesterday. Steanso is 1/2 Finnish (both of my maternal grandparents were Finnish), and I've always thought of the Finns as a pretty tough but fairly peaceful people, so this makes me sort of sad. I guess that this sort of thing can probably happen anywhere, really (although having ready access to guns or explosives probably makes it more likely).

In more upbeat news, TV on the Radio have released a new album called Dear Science, and it's getting really good reviews. I've gotten their last two albums, Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes and Return to Cookie Mountain, and I thought they were both great, although I've never seen the band in concert. I've heard sort of mixed reviews on their live shows, but I'm going to go see them when they come to town next time, anyway. They're one of those bands that just seems like they're doing just the right thing at just the right time (plus, they have a sort of mutual respect thing going with both David Bowie [who did some vocals on their last album] and Radiohead [they named their first album OK, Calculator in homage to Radiohead], so you know they're doing something right).

Well, that's all I've got today.
Hope you guys are doing okay.

No comments: