Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hey, guys. Well, my brother and I have booked flights to Florida for my grandmother's funeral. It looks like we'll fly out early on Thursday morning, go to the funeral in Belleview on Friday, and return to Austin on Saturday. It will be a fast trip, but this is the way of such things, I guess. My parents were supposed to fly out today for Florida, but last I heard my mother was having some airplane difficulties while trying to fly back from Michigan (she'd been up there visiting some old friends). Anyway, I'm really not sure where they are at the moment.
I'm sure that all of you guys are fascinated by this stuff.
Anyway, last night I didn't do much except try to organize travel plans and had a quick bite for dinner with Ryan and Jamie.
Bush has begun to ramp up his political pandering, calling for increased offshore domestic drilling and joining in Republican pressure to open the ANWR for drilling. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- increasing offshore drilling and drilling in our wildlife refuges is not an answer to high oil prices. At best it just allows our country to procrastinate on its energy problems, and at worst it exposes our wildlife areas and coastlines to potential enviromental catastrophe while only impacting the price of gasoline by a small amount (I've read as little as 4 or 5 cents a gallon reduction in prices, and even those results won't be seen for years). Leaders like Nancy Pelosi and Arnold Schwarzenegger have already stated similar positions (along with many other democrats and leaders from coastal states) and have voiced a determination to redouble efforts to find additional alternative fuels and other green energy sources in the coming years.
But I just love it when Bush pressures Congress to jump on the bandwagon with short term, ineffectual, politically expedient solutions without any sort of long term cost/benefit analysis. It certainly worked out well for us when he put pressure on Congress to go to war in Iraq.
Arrgh. I'm tired. And maybe a wee bit grumpy. Can't seem to find much that I want to blog about, so maybe I'd best just sign off for the time being.
Hope you guys are having a good day.

1 comment:

Queenie said...

Grumpo......just kidding. I won't even make a pro-Bush comment on here since your grandmother passed away this week. Consider this your 'get out of jail free' card :) Get some rest.....