Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Australian Critical Thinking Videos!

Here are a series of very short videos created by the Australian Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research. They briefly talk about critical reasoning, logic, argument, and logical fallacy.  I just thought that they sort of discussed a pretty geeky topic in a way that's fun and entertaining without being snooty. I also kind of liked the videos because they brought back memories of some of my philosophy classes from my undergraduate days at Trinity. 

True, there are six of these videos, but they're short, and I think they're well executed!

The first video is a short intro to critical thinking.



The second video introduces formal logic and briefly explains logical fallacies (I suffered flashbacks of symbolic logic class)



The third video focuses on the strengths and weaknesses of premises.



The fourth video is about bias and objectivity.



The fifth video looks at the gambler's paradox, examining the mind's tendency to seek patterns and how it can lead us to make mistakes of logic.



The sixth video looks at the strengths and weaknesses of the precautionary principle. The video examines the relative values of probability versus certainty, and here the videos stray farther into an examination of scientific principles as opposed to pure logic.



Annnnyway, I just thought the videos were kind of cool!  I hope at least one or two of you enjoy them!

2 comments:

poetrymatters said...

Yes they are cool! Thanks for sharing them.

J.S. said...

Glad you like them! I think they probably have a bit of a niche audience, but I thought they were fun!