Friday, February 11, 2011

I Heart Cake

I really love the band Cake. I'm not sure why. A big part of it is the bass lines. They're funky, and their bass player, Gabe Nelson, just writes great grooves that sync with all of the other parts (especially the drums) in a really awesome way. They make me smile. They make me laugh and inadvertently dance.
Also, I like the way that John McCrea's vocals just sort of calmly talk/drone/sing over the grooves and chaos that sort of swirls around him. Sometimes I think there are voices and noises in my head that are doing something like that. When I'm in a good mood I like to think that my internal racket sounds a bit like Cake.

They put out a new album, Showroom of Compassion, recently, and I've been listening to it a lot.
Tragically, I've never seen Cake live (Jeff Wilson got me ticket once, but I got sick, and Andy got to go instead of me), but I hope to rectify that sometime soon.

7 comments:

Paul Toohey said...

I also <3 Cake. And I have seen them live once.

The basslines just rule, plus the way McCrae's crappy acoustic guitar sounds so perfect for their songs. The lead guitarist (I think they've had several) has also ALWAYS brought it.

J.S. said...

Darn it. I should never have used an actual word in the title of my post when I could have substituted an emoticon. In the future all human language will be replaced with emoticons. The heiroglyphics of the digital age!
And yes! Cake! They must come back to town and we will all go see them and be happy, Paul!

The League said...

While I am unsure that Cake has ever reached the dizzying heights again of "Mr. Mastodon Farm", I certainly appreciate the fact that they have insisted on their own sound for the considerable length of their career. Really, when I consider that I was listening to Cake in spring of 1994 for the first time... holy smokes, these guys have been around for a while. They're doing something right.

J.S. said...

Yeah, looking at their entry on Wikipedia today I realized that they've had more lineup changes over the years than I realized, but they've been pretty darn cool throughout.

The League said...

By the way, I await your post on your love of actual cake. Because, mmmmmmm.... cake.

J.S. said...

Well, I'm not a huge sweets fan, in general, but there are certain cakes that I love. I'm not sure that my love of carrot cake is really anything to be proud of, though, League. Nothing to be proud of...

Paul Toohey said...

I'll take a slice of carrot cake!