Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Zacarias Moussaoui received a recommendation for a life sentence today from a federal jury in Alexandria, Virginia. In an attempt at a parting shot, the defendant allegedly stated, "America, you lost" as he departed the courtroom. I gotta say, I don't think that he could have been father from the truth. I think that decision to sentence Moussaoui to life in prison instead of death was the correct decision for several reasons. First and foremost, I believe that this guy had some serious mental and emotional problems (whether they be a result of his upbringing or just part of his personality makeup, I don't know). I don't want to live in a country where we execute people who don't seem to fully appreciate their own actions. Also, I think that Moussaoui was hoping to become a martyr, and I'm glad that this status has been denied (mostly because I don't think we need to provide a public example of how other terrorist wannabes can become high-profile martyrs). Finally, I think that its just good to see the cycle of death brought on by the 9/11 tradgedy come to an end somewhere. Retribution begets further retribution, and someone has to be willing to eventually say that they are no longer going to kill in the name of this tradgedy or its victims. Punishment (even lifetime punsihment) is necessary, but America just doesn't need any more death. It doesn't help the victims to heal, and in the end, it adds to a culture which normalizes violence and ultimately legitimizes it (killing people in cold blood must be a good thing to do in some situations because the government does it).
Anyway, these are hastily jotted thoughts b/c I'm busy, but I'm glad the guy got life. Still, I hope prison sucks.

No comments: