Sunday, July 30, 2017


What's up?  Our weekend was sort of busy, but pretty good.
My mom and dad are still out of the country, cruising around Scandinavia and Northern Europe while we're baking back here in Austin in 105 degree heat!
So last week Raylan got a full week at school without any breaks (usually his Grandma takes him one day a week).  He seemed to handle it just fine, though, and it might have even helped him settle into his school routine a little bit more fully, which is good.  Ever since he transitioned to his new school he's been in and out a lot with vacations and whatnot, so it's good for him to really settle in fully with his new teacher and class.
On Friday night I grabbed some pizza for us on our way home, and on Friday night Amy went and did some baby sitting over at Mandy's house.  Mandy's friend, Alicia, was in town visiting, with her 11 month old daughter, Camille.  Amy went over and did some babysitting so Mandy and Alicia could go out to dinner and meet up with some other friends.  I stayed home with Raylan.
On Saturday we got up and went out to breakfast at La Posada (which Raylan now specifically requests by name) and did some grocery shopping.  I tried to take a picture of Raylan to send to Mom in Europe.

When you ask Raylan to smile for a picture for Grandma, this is
what you get.

Afterwards we went to Garrison Pool.  We got there and they didn't have the kiddie pool open due to a lifeguard shortage.  I gave them a little bit of grief, since this has been a recurring problem over the course of the summer.  Either because of or in spite of my incessant whining, they opened the kiddie pool and put a lifeguard on it.  This, of course, guaranteed the fact that Raylan would have almost no interest in the kiddie pool and insist upon spending all of his time swimming in the big pool.
Whatever.  Plenty of other families rushed over to the kiddie pool as soon as they opened it, and Raylan had a lot of fun in the big pool.  He can't really swim yet, but he has a floatation harness with arm floaties, and he will happily paddle around the deeper pool now, even though he can't touch the bottom.

After the pool we had a shower and lunch.

"After this we're going back to the pool.  Right, Dad?"

Then Amy went over to Shelly and Kit's house to see if they needed any help getting organized for their imminent baby.  She said it went pretty well.

Amy took this picture of Kit and his very special glasses.
He's "helping".
I stayed home with Raylan while he napped, and I exercised. 
I was talking with Amy on the phone as she drove home from Shelly and Kit's when her tire blew out on Mopac.  This happened on what was, to my understanding, literally one of the hottest July days in Austin's recorded history.
She called AAA, but they told her it might take an hour and a half to get a repair guy out to change the tire.
I started to get Raylan up from his nap to go and get her, but by the time he was up and I had changed his diaper, the service guy was there changing her tire.
She made it home, but her car only has a donut for a spare, so we knew we had to get a new tire the next day.
Saturday night we started watching season 2 of The Expanse.  We both like that show.
For those who haven't seen it, it's a science fiction show that involves a future in which people have colonized the solar system.  Mars has essentially become its own independent nation-state, which seems to frequently find itself in tension with Earth (which is now governed by the UN).  Various smaller colonies exist within the asteroid belt and on various satellite and moon outposts.

I find the show to be pretty well written.  I particularly am enjoying the fact that the creators managed to pull off such an intriguing, engaging science fiction plot while still keeping the science of the show within the realm of things which are, at least theoretically, scientifically feasible.  There aren't a lot of hyper drives, warp drives, or stargates popping up on the show, but it's still really interesting and fun. The space battles are no less intense for a lack of laser or blaster fire.
Anyway, we're enjoying it.

So on Sunday I got up and got breakfast tacos for Raylan and I (Amy didn't want any), and afterward I took Amy's car to Pep Boys.  I walked home from Pep Boys because it wasn't that far and it was early in the day.  Turns out that it was pretty hot out there in the sun, anyway.  Not brutal, but I definitely got sweaty.
I got home to find Raylan and Amy playing in the sprinkler.

"Mom, if I just turn this sprinkler, we can both play in it!
Mom?  Mom?!?!"

Helping Mom water the plants.

Pretty hot out here.  Maybe Raylan need s small sip...
After playing with the water in the yard we took Raylan to get a haircut.  He behaved pretty well for the haircut.
Then he had lunch,

Then a nap.  Amy and I worked out.

In the later afternoon/evening, I had band practice.  It went well.
While I was at band practice, Raylan and Amy made some sidewalk art.

Amy and Raylan portray Chad, Mary, and Truett.
Amy made some really tasty chicken and pesto calzones for dinner.

More Expanse.

It was a good weekend!

No comments: