Sunday, August 06, 2017

Update

Hi!  Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Ours was pretty good.

On Wednesday we met up with Ryan and Jamie for dinner at Cherry Creek Catfish.  Raylan had never been before, but he seemed to really like it.  We had a good time!

Amy had some dental/periodontal surgery on Friday.  It's considered to be a pretty minor procedure from a medical standpoint, but it's been causing her a little bit of swelling and some discomfort, so we kind of tried to take it easy this weekend.  (personally, any time anyone someone was doing anything like that to my mouth or head, I wouldn't consider it minor)
I took Amy to her surgery on Friday morning, took her back to the house, and then went back to work for a few hours in the afternoon, picking up Raylan from his preschool on the way home.

On Saturday we got up and went out to breakfast in the morning at Kerbey Lane.




Afterwards I went grocery shopping while Amy played with Raylan at the house.
We mostly just hung out at the house and played with Raylan on Saturday morning.
Raylan asked me to read him one of his Halloween books, and when it was over, he asked me if he had a costume.  I considered trying to squeeze him into his dog costume from last year, and then remembered that Uncle Ryan and Aunt Jamie had bought him a Superman cape and mask (which I don't really get since Superman doesn't wear a mask) a while back.  I dug them out of the closet to see if he was interested.
The answer was a resounding yes.
We had tried to get him to wear the cape back when he had first received them, but he hadn't been interested at the time.  He's been reading some Superman books since then, though, and this time the whole thing clicked for him.


"Up, up, and away!!"

"Flyinnnnnng!!!"



Still flying

"At first I was just excited to get the cape, but now
I realize that it comes with A LOT of responsibility...."

Raylan and Amy had lunch and napped.  I went to the gym (Amy wasn't allowed to exercise after her surgery).
After nap I took Raylan to one of his swim classes at Emler Swim School.  He likes some parts of swim class and is less excited about other parts.  Hopefully he's slowly becoming less likely to drown, though.
On Saturday night Amy and I watched The Expanse.  I'm still liking it.

On Sunday morning we got up and took Raylan up to the Austin Aquarium up at Anderson Lane and 183.  It was fun.
Raylan has been there with my parents before, and he obviously remembered some of it.  When we first walked in he wanted to run around really fast and name the different animals
He got excited about the stingrays.

Raylan reassures Amy that the stingrays are nice.







"I don't get it.  Why am I supposed to put my head through here?"

It was a nice morning.  Afterward we went to Phil's Icehouse for lunch.  Raylan got to play on the playground.  He had a good time until he started to get tired, fell, and bonked his head on a step. He was fine, but it caused a bit of a meltdown.  We took him home for nap time.

In the evening I headed over to band practice.  Jim couldn't make it, so I played bass guitar.  It was fun.  I hadn't played bass in quite a while.
It's a whole different dynamic when you're just playing bass.  It's much more of a support role (when you're not "out front", singing and playing the guitar part), but it sort of holds all of the other pieces together.  In Mono Ensemble, the bass can be a really important, because we have a bunch of talented musicians, but our music tends to involve a lot of improvisation and "jamming".  A good, solid bass part can really help hold the song down while the various instruments wander around and explore some musical territory.  That way we can get some really cool stuff going on, but still keep things cohesive.
Anyway, I enjoyed playing bass Sunday night.

And that's about it.  Sunday night, upon the recommendation of Frank, I watched the first episode of Ozark.  It was pretty good, but pretty dark (it's about a financial planner who ends up entangled with Mexican cartels and having to take his family from Chicago to the Lake of the Ozarks to participate in a money laundering scheme).  I'm definitely hooked and will keep watching to see where it's going.

And that was pretty much our weekend!

My mom and dad should be getting back on Monday from their cruise to Scandinavia and Russia.  Apparently they pulled off a planned meet up with some relatives from my mom's side of the family (related to her father), which sounds really interesting (I'm not sure my mom had ever met anyone from my grandfather's family before).  I look forward to hearing about that, as well as the rest of their trip.

That's it.  Have a good week!






No comments: