Monday, January 28, 2019


Howdy!  How are we doing as we get ready to wrap up our first month of 2019?
Things are going pretty well at our house.  Busy, but we're doing pretty well.

First, for no good reason, here's a random picture of Austin that I snapped from the window of my car while driving the kids to school last Thursday.  I took the unusual step of going downtown via I35.  First Raylan told me that I wasn't supposed to be taking them to school because the sun was setting (it was actually rising).  Then, because I was taking a different route than usual, he told me that I didn't know how to get him to school.
Everyone's a critic, I tell ya...

Morning commute in Austin
Here's another sort of random picture.  In this photo, Raylan is holding Freddy Frog and Bluejay the Jaguar.  I asked Raylan to pose for this picture because Freddy and Bluejay have become constant fixtures in our household these days.
Freddy and Bluejay both have cooler cars than Mom and Dad, live in cooler houses than we do, drive better and faster than Mom and Dad, run faster than Mom and Dad, and even eat better food than we do.
Freddy and Bluejay started out as prizes from the claw game machine at La Posada, and when we won each of them for a dollar, I had no idea that they would rise to power and take over the social hierarchy of our home.

The three amigos
In this last random photo, I snapped a picture of a rare, but exciting household event.  If you look closely at the photo below, you'll see Kiddo and Raylan quietly playing together and peacefully enjoying each other's company.  At first not sure of what I was seeing, I stealthily observed this phenomenon for several minutes.  To my amazement, they shared the pieces of the marble run and took turns without any shouting, taunting, shoving, or shrieking for almost five minutes!  Of course, the moment that I came out of hiding to snap a picture, Raylan began to holler that Kiddo was messing up his marble run, and Kiddo started to fling marble run pieces in my direction while emitting a high pitched wailing sound.  
But it was too late.  I had seen it.  I know they are capable of quietly entertaining one another!!

Dad, this isn't what it looks like!
On Thursday, Mom and Dad took the kids for over 24 hours because I had to go have a procedure done on Friday with a gastroenterologist (no, I'm not going to name the procedure on the blog- use your imagination).
So Friday I had the day off work, but I was pretty tired and wiped out.  I slept a lot.  Amy took the day off to drive me around and whatnot.  She was very nice, and I love her.

On Saturday Dad brought the kids back, and he helped me hang up a new ceiling fan that we got for our dining room/living room.  It wasn't a super complicated deal, but, as with many projects in our old house, it ended up being slightly more involved than we had anticipated.
Still, we got it done.  Amy helped out, too.  She has little, nimble fingers, and they came in handy.  We literally could not have done it without her.

Now that I'm in a management position at work,
I've come to realize that supervising your labor force
is probably the most important part of any job.

New fan!  Voila!!
Other from that, the kids got to play outside a bit on Saturday (great weather), and we had pizza for dinner.
On Sunday we played outside again quite a bit because it was such a nice day.

Raylan begins his training for the World Cup
On Sunday afternoon my mom came over to watch Kiddo, while Amy and I took Raylan to see a play/puppet show called The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show at the Paramount Theater.
It was a fun experience.  The theater was packed full of kids, and there were a lot of oohs and ahhs when the various colorful puppets were brought out.
The show contained adaptations of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do you See? as well as 10 Little Rubber Ducks, and, of course, The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Raylan seemed to enjoy it, although he did loudly ask "Why doesn't this building have any windows?" and "When will this play be over?" during the Rubber Ducks segment.  Despite a little minor annoyance with the pacing of that one portion, he seemed to really enjoy it.
Afterward we took him out for ice cream because he had been such a good audience member. 

They let us snap a few pics once the show had ended

At the Paramount with Mom and Dad!

And that was pretty much the weekend.
It was a good one.
Thanks to Amy, Mom, and Dad for all the help with the child care, the Steanso care, and the home improvement project over the weekend.
I love all of you guys!

No comments: