Monday, April 30, 2012

Amy's Last Day at School; The Weekend

Let me start off by saying that today is officially Amy's last day of classes as a law/graduate student.  Actually, unless she decides to go back to school again for something in the future, today may very well signal her last day as a degree seeking student.  We've talked about it a bit, and I know she's feeling some of that strange combination of excitement, relief, wistfulness, and anticipation that I remember feeling when I launched out of school to enter the working world.
I'm incredibly happy for and proud of her (she's going to have two undergraduate degrees and two graduate school degrees at the end of this in only seven years and she's already managed to line up a job at the Texas Legislative Council).  It's probably a bit of a weird time, though.  When you've been in school straight from kindergarten through law school, it feels weird to move on to something else.
But it's going to be great, Amy!  The Lege Council is lucky to have you, and I'm sure you'll find the work really interesting.
Also, it's going to be nice to have the opportunity to turn your brain off once in a while instead of constantly thinking of homework assignment you could be doing.
Congrats! 
Love you!

As for the weekend... the weekend was pretty good.  It started off a little rough on Friday.  I was feeling a little low with some sort of allergy attack or something.  We hung out at the house and watched The Producers, which I had never seen before.  It's a good movie.  The Gene Wilder/Zero Mostel combination is pretty great.  It's just apologetically ridiculous in a way that most directors nowadays would be hard pressed to emulate without becoming self conscious.  I enjoyed it.
Saturday we exercised and Amy did some school stuff.  Then we rode out bikes over to the Sunset Valley Art Festival.  We walked around a little bit and listened to The Gourds.  Pretty good time.  It was nice to get out and enjoy the day.
I rode my bike around even more later on, and ran a few errands.  We grabbed a bite for dinner, and went to Opal Divine's for trivia with our friends Jaci and Josh. 
(Me, Amy, and Jaci- three quarters of our
third place team! )
I'm proud to say that our team, Penguin Bite Newt, came in third place out of about twenty or twenty one teams.  Also, I won a free beer on a bonus question for being the first person to know that Lutheranism was the predominant religious denomination of Scandinavia (my Finnish grandparents, Grandma and Grandpa Johnson, would be awfully proud of me for scoring a free drink with that knowledge, I'm sure).

On Sunday Amy went to a jamming class with her mentor from church (this was a class on actually making preserves- not the same kind of awesome musical jamming that Mono Ensemble takes part in on a semiweekly basis).  I ran a few errands.  Then I took a bike ride.  We went to the grocery store.  In the evening Amy made chilaquiles, and they were delicious.  I have developed a ridiculous affection for the chicken chilaquiles that Amy makes.  They have chipotle peppers in them, which help make them mildly smoky and delicious.
So that was the weekend!  It was nice!


   

No comments: