Monday, April 16, 2012

The Weekend

Well, the weekend was pretty good.  It went by way too quickly. 
Thursday night we went to... uh... I can't remember the name of it, but it's basically just the renamed version of Madam Mam's that's over by my house (it's the same restaurant, but I think one of the owners renamed it when he and his wife got divorced).  Anyway, we ate Thai food in celebration of Ryan's birthday with Jamie, Ryan, and Heather Wagner.  It was a nice evening.
On Friday night Amy made us a nice pasta dinner (with spinach and wine sauce), and then I went over to the Carousel Lounge to do some rocking with Mono Ensemble.  I was just a little bit apprehensive about the gig since we hadn't had many chances to practice together in recent moths, but in the end things went pretty well and everyone seemed to have a good time.
The Carousel Lounge isn't exactly a fancy place, but it's easy and it's cheap and the staff has always been nice to us.  Anyway, we played, people danced, and everything turned out okay. 
(my brother might have just turned 37, but he can
still dance like a man in his late 80s!!)

I stuck around for most of the Venus Fixer show after our set, and they sounded good, too (fast, raucous, and rowdy as ever).
On Saturday I got up and rode my bike to get tacos.  I worked out, worked on my taxes,and rode my bike some more while Amy went to Concordia to volunteer at their library for a few hours.  We managed to squeeze in a quick trip to the grocery store when she got back.  In the evening we headed over to Ryan and Jamie's place for Ryan's birthday party.  We relaxed and hung out for a while (rapped with Paul and Valerie, as well as others) and then motored off to the new Alamo Drafthouse down on Slaughter.  We saw The Hunger Games, and I thought that it was pretty good.  I thought, on the whole, the movie was adapted pretty faithfully from the book.  Although the movie tried to play down the violence a bit, it's still a pretty brutal movie.  It's kind of hard to believe that this is young adult fiction these days.  Also, the next two books only get more violent, and apparently they're planning to adapt those into movies as well.  It'll be interesting to see how audiences react to the films as they get darker and darker.
(sometimes it's hard to tell who loves the dog park more)
On Sunday we got up and went to the dog park.  It got cloudy and eventually started raining, but Cassidy got some decent running and playing time in before we had to leave.  It was kind of interesting to be at the park when a storm came blowing in.  Definitely a different feel than being there on a sunny day.
I rode my bike a bit more when we got back, and then we ran another errand or two.



Sunday night Amy made tomatillo enchiladas with mushrooms and spinach.  They were really, really good.  Amy's a skilled cook in general, but in particular, she's become really good at cooking Mexican food, sort of specializing in Mexican dishes that tend to be slightly healthier than some of the heavier Tex Mex that you find in some restaurants (while remaining really tasty).  I feel very fortunate to have so many chances to eat her cooking!


(muy delicioso!)


And that was the weekend!  It was nice and relaxing.
My thoughts were with the Davis family as they attended the funeral of Amy's great grandmother.
Hope everyone is doing okay, and your weeks are off to a good start.

Peace!

2 comments:

Jean said...

The enchiladas look delicious! I'll have to try out the recipe. Also, gotta love the picture of your girls out running. Glad the gig was fun. Greg's conquering the guitar learning curve and is sounding really good. Have a great week!
Jean

J.S. said...

They really were delicious! Hope you've had a great week! (somehow I didn't see this comment until today- I still haven't gotten used to this new format...)