Monday, September 25, 2017

Update

Hello!  We had a pretty nice, but sort of low key weekend.
We have a lot of stuff coming up in October (and November, for that matter), so our general plan was to try to take it sort of easy.
Friday was the first day of fall, so I got in a long-overdue bike ride to work.  It wasn't too hot, but it was a little muggy in the morning.  (Notice the low-hanging clouds that are obscuring the tops of the buildings in the picture below).
(South First Street Bridge)
On Saturday morning we got up and went out to breakfast at Kerbey Lane.  As usual, when we were leaving Raylan insisted that the whole family sit together for a moment on the benches out front.  I'm not sure why he always does this.  The boy loves a good bench.


Saturday was pretty laid back. We played outside with Raylan a bit.  We worked on learning how to pedal that tricycle (he's getting there, but pedaling is still a little tricky).  We did some art.
I went to the grocery store.
Amy and I got exercise.
In the afternoon we went to Costco.
We had salmon burgers for dinner and went to Dairy Queen for an ice cream cone.

"Oh my gosh, I love ice cream.  I can eat this ice cream cone even better
with this spoon.  I don't know why no one else eats them this wa-"
"Noooooooo!!!!"

"You gotta be real careful when you eat an ice cream cone with a
spoon, Mom...."
Saturday night we watched some more of the Ken Burns documentary, The Vietnam War.  It's a good documentary.  We're only a couple of episodes in, but I've already learned a lot of things that I never knew about the events that led up to the war.  I look forward to talking to my dad (who's a Vietnam vet) about it.

Sunday got sort of mucked up a bit by the dead car battery situation.  I initially thought that I could just buy a new battery and swap it out, but the guy in the battery department at Pep Boys told me he thought I ought to have my alternator checked before putting a new battery in (because my car was pretty new to already have a dead battery).  I ended up taking my car into a Firestone service center on Sunday, and the alternator turned out to be okay.
I guess the battery that came with the car just wan't a great battery.
Anyway, there was some maneuvering (and toddler wrangling) to get the car to the mechanic and to pick it up again.  It wasn't a huge deal, but it made the day a little bit more complicated than we'd planned.
We still got to work out and do some stuff.
Raylan got up a little late from his nap in the afternoon.
We weren't sure what to do with him, but we wanted to get out of the house for like an hour or two.
We ended up taking him to place called Hoppin' House over in the Brodie Oaks Shopping Center.
Hoppin' House is just a big retail space that someone has filled with inflatable bounce houses and soft, indoor kids' playgroung equipment.
When we first got there Raylan seemed sort of nervous and apprehensive.  It seemed like we might have spent a little money to watch Raylan refuse to go into any of the bounce houses.
Eventually Amy climbed up into one, though, and sort of showed him how it worked.  He started playing with some other kids after watching what they were doing, and eventually he started to really enjoy it.

"You can bounce AND crawl through a tunnel?!"
A couple of the bounce houses had climbing walls with handholds for kids to climb up and then go down slides.  At first Raylan couldn't figure out how to climb up, and he kept falling back down.  He got frustrated, but he didn't give up, and I have to admit that I was proud of him when he finally figured out how to climb some of the walls and reach the top.  It wasn't that big a deal to climb the wall, necessarily, but I was happy to see him stick with something that started out being a little scary until he figured out how to do it and started enjoying it.

The long climb.



Enjoying the vista from the summit.



The graceful descent.



The graceful descent continues.


"Hahahaha!"


Anyway, Raylan ended up really loving Hoppin' House. He played until he was sweaty and winded.   By the end, we literally had to carry him out of there (while he yelled, "Raylan needs to stay at Hoppin' House!!!!").

In the evening I went to band practice.  We were all there.  Decent practice.

And that was the weekend!  It was nice.  Hope everyone has a good week.


2 comments:

Ryan Steans said...

Glad to hear about Hoppin' House. I thought the trampoline park by La Posada would be for older kids and not fun for him.

If you need help car-wrangling, you guys can always call.

J.S. said...

Thanks! Yeah, Hoppin' House is definitely geared toward a younger crowd. He ended up loving it.