Sunday, April 23, 2017

Raylan Turns 2!

So it was a big week in our house! Raylan turned 2 on Thursday!  Amy and I I took Thursday off from work to spend the day with him, and I'm really glad that we did.  We had a fun time.
I took Raylan to his Gymboree class in the morning (usually mom mom takes him on Thursdays).  He had a really fun time.  There's a sort of creepy clown puppet thing that they bring out at the end of the class who sings to the kids.  His name is Jimbo (Gymbo?).  He sort of dances and sings.  I found him a little terrifying, but the kids seemed fascinated by him.

"You're no Grandma, but you'll do for today, Dad."
After Gymboree my Dad came over and we all went out to lunch at Kerbey Lane (Mom was volunteering at church).  We had a nice time.  Raylan loves their pancakes, and he loves Poppa, so it was a really good lunch for him.

Raise your hand if you think you deserve to be spoiled on your birthday.
In the afternoon, after Raylan's nap, we took him over to Dittmar Park.  He played on the playground and we walked their trails.
Uncle Ryan came out to see Raylan and brought him a birthday present.

"Walk this way, Uncle Ryan..."
I took Friday off, also.  Mom and Dad picked Raylan up in the morning so he could spend the day and night at their house, and I ran some errands to get ready for Raylan's party on Saturday.
In the evening, Amy got home from work and we went to Bombay Bistro for dinner.  We had a nice dinner.
Saturday we had a birthday party at our house for Raylan.  We had a lot of fun.
A bunch of friends came and brought their kids.  The kids ran around and played on Raylan's play fort and played with outdoor toys.  The weather was a little overcast, and unseasonably cool, but that was sort of nice, given that it'll probably just get hotter and hotter for the rest of the year.  We kept all of the windows open all weekend.

Joe and Emily with Amy.

Lizzie, June, the other Fite twin (sorry, kid- I'm bad with names), and Raylan
having snacks



Megan. Shelly, Kit, and Ryan

Ryan, Cynthia (holding August), Mary, Truett, J.R., and Kit.



Lizzie and Megan go for a slide.



Raylan gives a tour of Fort Raylan to Lizzie, Cynthia, and August

CAKE!  LOOOOVE CAKE!!

Us!
Anyway, the party seemed to be a success.  I think the kids had fun, and hopefully the parents as well.
Amy did a great job pulling it all together.  The Very Hungry Caterpillar theme seemed to impress Raylan, who happily pointed at the various decorations while pointing out that caterpillars do, in fact, have a tendency to eat too much.  And like the hungry caterpillar, Raylan got really excited and ate a lot (especially cake).

On Sunday we got up and went out to breakfast at La Posada.  It was good.  Raylan was in a really good (albeit loud) mood, still excited from his birthday celebration.



Afterward we went home and played in the yard for a while.  The weather was really nice.  I took some "turning two" pictures.
We also went up to Joslin Park.







"TRAMPOLINE!!!"


"Mom, why don't you trust me?"

In the afternoon I ran a few errands and did a couple of chores, but mostly we laid low.

And that was pretty much our weekend!  It was a busy one, but a good one.

I can't believe Raylan is two.  Well, I can and I can't.  The time is flying by at an almost alarming rate, but I love watching him grow into his own person, with his own personality, interests, and opinions. (oh, the opinions!  Definitely go some of me in him ;-))
He is a really great kid.  He's cheerful, affectionate, bright, strong willed, brave, quite talkative, and very, very curious.
As a person who never even was sure he was going to have kids, I watch him every day with a sense of amazement and gratitude.  He's made our lives better, and he makes our extended family happy as well.
I love you, Raylan!

Now to try not to mess up this parenting thing...

Have a great week!






No comments: