Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Update

So the weekend was good! Went by quickly. I'm not sure what we did on Friday night.  I think we went to bed early.  I can't remember.


(Saturday morning hangout with Dad while Mom catches
up on some much needed sleep)


On Saturday afternoon, I watched what has been by far the best UT game of the year.  We played against OU in the Red River Rivalry, and UT was victorious.  It was awesome.  Made me so happy all day!
(Raylan watching the UT game with me.  "Hey Dad!  Guess what? 
OU sux!")



On Saturday afternoon my parents picked up Raylan.  Afterward, we ran some errands, which was easier without a kiddo in tow.  Saturday night we went out to dinner with Shelly, Emily, Joe, and Kit.  We had a really fun time!  We went to Taco Flats for dinner, and then went to Pinballz afterward to play some vintage arcade games.  Pinballz was a lot of fun.  It turns out that arcade games are more enjoyable when you're an adult and you have more than $2 or $3 in quarters to spend on games.  Anyway, it was fun to hang out with the gang.  Thanks to Mom and Dad for watching Raylan!
(Emily and Joe do some racing while Shelly and Amy critique their technique)





On Sunday we got up late and went out for breakfast (there are a lot more people at the restaurants when you get up late, apparently).  Then I ran to the grocery store.

My parents dropped off Raylan in the afternoon, and we talked with them for a while.

In the evening I went to band practice, which was good for my soul.  Amy made soup (it had potatoes and onions and saffron).  It was muy bueno. 

That was pretty much the weekend.  Very nice!


BTW, on Monday I sat in on a roundtable with U.S. Senator John Cornyn about legislation that he's supporting which involves mental illness and treatment for it in the justice system.  He's pushing the legislation as an alternative to any sort of significant reform of  our firearms laws (his bill has NRA support as well as support from mental health advocates).  I don't really believe that addressing mental health will fix our gun violence problem in any significant way (the actual percentage of gun crimes committed by the mentally ill is apparently fairly low and not really any higher than that of the general public), but I'm willing to support help for the mental health care system any way we can get it.  Politics, as they say, makes strange bedfellows.  Anyway, I'm not too cool to admit that it was kind of exciting to be part of a policy discussion that involved a senator and was covered by the media.


(It is me, or does my expression in this  picture sort of say, "So are we gonna get
our money, or what?")


No comments: