Monday, July 06, 2015

4th of July Weekend

So I hope you guys all had a happy Independence Day weekend!  Ours was good.  Low key, but good.
We had Friday off from work, and on Friday evening my parents came over to babysit Raylan.  Amy and I went to the movies and out to dinner.  We went to see Spy, the new Melissa McCarthy movie about, well, spies.  It was really funny.  We both enjoyed it.  Afterward we had Thai food for dinner and then headed home to see The Boy.  Big thanks to Mom and Dad for giving us the night out!


Saturday morning, on July 4th, I got up and did some grocery shopping.  Then the Shaw family stopped by to meet Raylan.  It was good to see them, and we all had a good time hanging out.  They brought some clothes for Raylan, which we were thankful to get.
 
(Reed, Meredith, and Sloane pose with a stoic Raylan)

(Sloane, Jen, and Raylan)




The rest of Saturday was pretty laid back.  We exercised, and I ended up taking a much needed nap at some point.  I ran an errand or two, but mostly we hung out around the house.    Saturday night Amy made a Cobb salad, and we watched The Americans.  We didn't really watch fireworks this year, but holy jeebus, you could hear them going off all over our neighborhood.  They were loud.  Sounded like pipe bombs (okay, I've never actually heard a pipe bomb, but you get the idea).
Raylan, Cassidy, and even Amy pretty much slept through them, but they kept making me jump.  Oh well.  At least I got to take part in the 4th of July experience without ever leaving the comfort of my house.


Sunday morning we got up and went out to breakfast at Central Market.  It was nice to get out.







("I believe I'll have an omelette today.  Or maybe formula.
Perhaps I will have formula.")

After breakfast we went over to Katarina and J.R.'s house for baby playdate day with their son, Logan, and Mary and Truett.


(Here we see Truett recruiting Raylan and Logan to join the roughest,
toughest baby gang in Babyland.)
We had a good time getting the kiddos together.  They seem to genuinely watch each other and sometimes react to one another.  All three of them are pretty vocal, and at times they were pretty vocal together.  They mostly all stayed in a pretty happy mood, too, for the most part.
It was nice!  Thanks to Katarina and J.R. for having us over.
Sunday night I went to Mono Ensemble practice for the first time since Raylan was born.  It felt really good to get out and make some music.  Despite not having played together in months, we sounded pretty decent.
The U.S. women's team was playing in the World Cup championship game during practice, and Frank's daughter, Sarah, kept sending him text updates.  After the game I headed home and watched the end of the game (as well as the beginning, which I had recorded).  It was nice to see the U.S. perform so well and bring home a victory.  It's also cool to see women's soccer picking up so  much attention around the world.
Amy made chilaquiles for dinner.  Delicious.
And that was pretty much our weekend.
Hope everyone had a good, safe, fun weekend.
Have a good week!

No comments: