Monday, January 13, 2014

Update

Well, the weekend was pretty good.  Sort of low key.  Amy had a periodontal procedure performed on Thursday, so we sort of took it a little easy this weekend (she's a trooper, though, and her minor surgery didn't slow her down nearly as much as I had been afraid it might).  We spent part of the weekend dealing with exciting things like grocery shopping and visits from our pest control company.
On Saturday night we went to Strange Brew to go see a South Austin band called The Dimestore Poets.  They were pretty good.  I'm going to blog about them over on my new music site, ATX Note Book, when I get a chance.
So we had a nice time Saturday night.  We had thought about trying to meet up with some friends at Broken Spoke after Dimestore Poets so we could catch Dale Watson, but between Amy's mouth surgery and my cedar fever, we were just a little worn out.  We ended up heading home.  I hope to catch him some other time, though.
Sunday we went out for breakfast at The Bakehouse.  That place is okay, but... just okay.  I wish it was a little better.  It's close to our house, and it's been a local South Austin business since forever, so I want to support it, but... it's just sort of medium. 
After breakfast we just ran errands.  Among other places, we went to Breed and Co.  Amy was thoroughly befuddled by the Breed and Co. experience.  I hadn't been in there for a while, and going back, especially with someone who had never been before, I had to admit that it is a strange store.  You can buy your painting supplies, construction tools, fancy dinner plates, greeting cards, and leather attache cases all in one place.  They have interesting things, but Amy kept asking me, "What is this place supposed to be?", and I didn't know what to tell her.  It's an odd (but interesting!) store.
Anyway, we got a gift certificate for the store from Reed and Jen for our wedding, and we used it to buy a really nice windchime, which we've been wanting to get for a while.  It was perfect.  Thanks, Reed and Jen!
Sunday night Amy made some really good soup which was a sort of Thai chicken noodle dish.  It was really good.  I've been having allergy problems, and it was good to have some hot chicken soup with a little bit of spice to it.  Made me feel better!
Amy also made pudding this weekend.  Vanilla.  Vey good.  Dangerously good.  As I told her, it was a good treat, but it might be a little too tempting to have it around the house on a regular basis.
Later that night we watched Treme.  Really, really like that show.  We're almost done with season 3, and I think they only made about half a season for season 4 before having to close it out.  It's just a real shame that Treme didn't find a bigger audience.  Even The Wire didn't really do as strong a job as Treme has done in terms of capturing so many aspects of a city- both positive and negative.  As Wendell Pierce said in a recent Rolling Stone article, Treme has not only broken new ground in terms of the way that music is portrayed on television, but the show will serve as a sort of document that accurately depicts the culture and art of New Orleans during a certain point in time.  I agree.  I think people will be watching Treme for years and years, and I think the show will slowly snowball in popularity long after it's off the air (The Wire had a similar progression).  New Orleans is one of the most unique places in the world, and Treme portrays the city in the early days of what was literally a fight back from the brink of nonexistence following Hurricane Katrina.  Very good show.
Anyway, that was our weekend.
Hope you guys are doing well!

No comments: