Monday, May 13, 2013

Update

So, things have been pretty busy.  The weekend was really good, though!
On Thursday night Amy had to work until sometime after midnight.  That was not super cool, but she's sort of a trooper about these things AND one of the bills that she wrote actually got signed into law by Guv'nah Perry this past week!  (lots and lots and lots of bills die a slow death over there at the capitol, so seeing one get passed is pretty cool)  I may not have this exactly right, but I believe the bill allows law officers to shoot a bison if it escapes from an enclosure or piece of property and if it will be a considerable hardship and/or safety risk to law enforcement to have to recapture the bison or otherwise bring it under control.  If you keep bison as cattle and/or pets, don't let them wander off your property, people!!

Anyway, Amy had a late night Thursday, and I had a late night waiting up for her, especially once it started storming and I was worried about her safely getting home.

Friday night we had a Mono Ensemble show at Carousel Lounge.  Amy and I went to grab some dinner at Central Market before the show, and as we were getting out of the car, Amy commented that the sky was getting sort of dark.  About ten minutes later the skies just opened up.  It was one of the heaviest downpours that we've had in a while, and for a little while, as I watched the streets flood and watched the rain come down in sheets, I was questioning whether we should even play the gig.  Getting my electric equipment soaked while unloading for a show that no one was likely to attend didn't sound like such a great idea.
In the end, though, we started a little late, but we played.  A number of people texted me to tell me that they weren't going to make it out to hear us because of the weather, but we still has a small group in attendance, and it was fun.  I think we actually sounded pretty good.  I guess since there weren't that many folks there we could just sort of relax and have fun and rock out.


(by wearing this hat I brought art TO the museum)
So Saturday we got up sort of late.  We ate some breakfast, and while we were eating, Amy commented that she had been wanting to see the masterworks alumni collection at The Blanton Museum of Art.  That particular exhibition is only going to be around for a couple more weeks, and Amy's work schedule makes things kind of unpredictable right now, so after we got done eating we headed to the museum to see the art while we had the chance.
I had never been to The Blanton before.  It's a really cool museum.  The collection of art that had been collected by UT alumni was really pretty amazing.

(art > work)
It was a diverse collection, with pieces ranging from samurai helmets to menacing Luis Jimenez sculptures to paintings by Monet and Rousseau.  I really enjoyed the alumni exhibit, as well as seeing the museum and its permanent collections for the first time.  I would definitely go back.  I hear that Thursdays are free...

Once we finished up at the museum, we went to the store and did some grocery shopping.  After that I went for a bike ride.  The weather was really, really nice, but it felt like there were very few people out.  Kind of odd.  Usually when the weather's nice there are people all over the place in this city.

Saturday evening Amy made a really good salmon dinner.  I'm terrible at describing food, but it was baked salmon with breadcrumbs and mustard, and it was muy delicioso!  She served it with asparagus, which tastes good, and, I'm told, contains lots of vitamins, fights cancer, and helps prevent cognitive decline (I need the help in this last area so Amy will have fewer opportunities to outwit me!).  Dinner was great. 
Saturday night I was suffering a bit from the allergies.  Also, perhaps, from late nights on Thursday and Friday.  We did some reading and went to sleep (after unsuccessfully looking for something to stream from Netflix).
On Sunday Amy made us some breakfast.  I did some exercising.  After that, Amy worked and I went out for a Mother's Day lunch with my parents and Ryan and Jamie.  We went to Willie G's down on Congress.  I had never been there before.  It was nice.  The food was good, and it was actually quiet enough to be able to carry on a nice conversation.  I had a pleasant meal and a good time visiting with everyone.  I hope Mom had a nice time, too.
I love you, Mom! 

After lunch I went home and changed clothes and picked up Amy.  We zipped across town to The Bates Recital Hall at UT, where we listened to The Austin Civic Orchestra.  My friend, Laura, plays clarinet in the orchestra when she's not prosecuting bad guys.  Amy and I both enjoyed the performance.  I like the classical music.  I like a lot of different kinds of music, but classical music has a richness to it that you don't hear in many other forms.  I especially like to hear classical music performed live.  With classical music, for some reason I feel much more emotionally engaged with the music when I'm hearing it come straight from the musicians and their instruments.  It really pulls me out of my head.  I think that you can really hear the timbre, texture, tone, and nuance of the instruments in a live setting, whereas those qualities are frequently diminished to some degree when an orchestra is recorded and the sound later reproduced (unless you have an almost perfect recording and an awesome stereo).  There's just a whole lot of complexity to classical music, and it helps to hear it live.  Powerful stuff.
Anyway, the orchestra was good.

Afterward we stopped off for a quick shopping trip.  Following that we went home, and once again, Amy made a great dinner.
Sunday night she made shrimp cakes.  They had bread crumbs and some kind of hot sauce and green onion and cilantro and lime on top.  They were great.  I helped her boil some corn to go along with them.  It was a weekend that involved some very good food.  Both the salmon and shrimp cakes were really excellent.

And that was about it.  More reading.

I hope everyone else had a good weekend!  Ours was very nice.  In between these other activities we spent some time just sitting on the back porch.  The weather was so nice!

Take care!!




 

No comments: