Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tori at the Height of Her Power

This is a recording of Tori Amos from a 1998 taping of Sessions at West 54th.  She had just released From the Choirgirl Hotel, which I still think of as her best album.  Matt Chamberlain played drums on this tour, and Jon Evans played bass.  They're both awesome.  Matt Chamberlain is great at throwing in flourishes and playing around rhythms while still keeping the beat rock solid. I know that Chamberlain is a drum hero of my own longtime friend and drummer, Reed.  On bass, Jon Evans has this really amazing and cool ability to pull off lyrical musical phrases on his instrument while still solidly holding down basslines that bind the rhythm to the melody.
And, of course, Tori Amos is an effortlessly great piano player.  Her voice alternates between soothing and shrieking- breathy and powerful.  Her music sort of pushes and pulls, soars, sobs, and implores. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Matt is definitely one of my drum heroes. My top 5 (in order):

1) Keith Moon (The Who)
2) Neil Peart (Rush)
3) Stewart Copeland (The Police, Animal Logic, Oysterhead, soundtracks, session)
4) Matt Chamberlain (Tori Amos, Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, session)
5) Jon Fishman (Phish, Pork Tornado)
6) Tony Williams (Miles, session)
7) Elvin Jones (Coltrane, session)
8) Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson, session)
8) John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
9) Glen Kotche (Wilco)
10) Phil Selway (Radiohead)

Obviously I'm a huge Tori fan too (even before Matt joined the band) and I have every one of her albums. I agree and I think this is still her best album.

Reed

J.S. said...

Wow! Pretty specific! I'd be hard pressed to come up with a list of my favorite bass players. But might be fun. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I just re-read my comment. I state I'll list my top 5 and then list top 10. Oh well. Just the painkillers talking.

Oh by the way, I forgot to credit Glen Kotche as the drummer of Loose Fur. They are a great band and everyone should check out their two albums. Jeff Tweedy and Sonic Youth's old producer Jim O'Rourke are the other members.

Reed