Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Goodbye Grandpa Ross

My grandfather, Marvin Ross, passed away yesterday.  His loss is sort of a personal thing to me, and at first I wasn't even going to post about it, but Grandpa Ross was an important person in my life, and I finally decided that if I'm going to go on about the random details of my weekend each week, I should probably at least mark his passing in some way on my blog.  Technically he was my step grandfather and not a blood relation.  He married my biological grandmother who passed away years ago, Kay Ross, before I was born.  Grandpa Ross was a grandfather to me my whole life, since the time when I was a very little kid and too young to even understand the meaning of blood relations.  By the time I grew old enough to figure out what the distinction was, it seemed utterly unimportant.  He was just Grandpa Ross- a fixed part of the family.
(Here's a picture of both Grandma and Grandpa Ross that Grandpa Ross'
son, Frank, took about ten years ago.  Love this picture!)
My grandfather was a really great guy.  He was a World War II vet (a paratrooper from the 82nd Airborne) who fought in North Africa, Italy, and Normandy.  He used to tell me about riding horses while growing up and about the cavalry in his earliest military days.  He once told me about sneaking behind enemy lines in Italy with some guy to get booze for a party that the guys from his unit were going to have. 
Most importantly, Grandpa Ross was a kind, friendly man who almost always had a smile and a laugh for me.  He had a good sense of humor, and he really enjoyed the company of friends and family.  He was a devoted, loving husband who really set an example in the way that he looked out for my grandmother.
My grandfather had a long, full life, and his death didn't really come as a surprise, but I'm still going to miss him.  I loved him a lot.


6 comments:

Paul Toohey said...

My condolences buddy. Let me know if you need anything.

J.S. said...

Thanks, Paul. Appreciate the support.

Jean said...

Jason,
What a kind tribute to your grandfather. Grandparents are a blessing for us, and I am happy you had strong feelings and a warm relationship with Grandpa Ross. I am certain you were important to him too!
Our sympathy is with you and your family during this time. I know your family was a tremendous support to him over the years.
Love,
Jean and Greg

J.S. said...

Thanks! He will be missed!

Michael Anderson said...

Forgive my spelling errors, but I want to say thanks to Jason, he was the closest thing I had to a grandfather as well. Ed Anderson died before I was born & Al Melkonian (both WWII Heros) died when I was three months old. About ten years ago I asked Marvin about Normandy & what it was like... he replied... "It was normal type fighting. It wasn't like Market Garden, where we were surrounded and we thought we were goanna die." I asked him about the recent car accident that occurred at that time (where he was making a left turn on a 4 lane highway and was rear-ended with the rear bumper being pushed into the back seat.) and he made me aware that he was glad that Kay wasn't in the car, because she would have been really hurt. Two girls were leaving a pep-rally and went to pass a slower moving car. When they changed lanes, they slammed into the back of Marvin's car, leaving them unconcious. Marvin (age 80 something) got out, checked on the girls, and wound up using one of their cell phones to call 911. His response... "I'm a paratrooper; you can't kill me..." Probably woke up and ate nails for breakfast too...

J.S. said...

Thanks for sharing the stories! Looking forward to seeing you soon!