Monday, September 26, 2011

Update

The weekend was pretty good.  Amy and I mostly ran errands and sort of puttered around the house on Saturday (Amy took her first trip to Garden Ridge Pottery, so that was a milestone moment that I got to share with her).  We went to a nice baptism and brunch for Mary, Ani and John's daughter (friends who I met through Amy), and I rocked out with the Mono Ensemble (sans Eric) yesterday while Amy went to the gym.  She seems fully committed to being in really good shape, thereby consistently remaining stronger and faster than myself (as well as smarter, but I'm not sure that happens at the gym).  

We also watched the first two episodes of Sherlock, which is a BBC miniseries that puts a modern, updated spin on the character of Sherlock Holmes.  The show stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman (Freeman is recognizable from the BBC version of The Office).  Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) are creators.  I know that some Sherlock Holmes fans might initially be skeptical of the idea of a new, contemporary Sherlock Holmes (to be honest, I was initially a little wary), but the show is really well done, both in concept and execution.  It's pretty clear that the writers have a great deal of respect and admiration for the original source material, and the show does a solid job of preserving the important personal characteristics of Holmes and Watson.  I'm a big fan of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, but I've also really enjoyed this new version where you get to see the characters navigate the modern world (computers and cell phones) and the busy streets of today's London.  And the list of characters from the original novels isn't limited to Holmes and Watson.  I don't want to give too much away, but a number of supporting characters from the books appear as well, and it's really fun to see their depictions in this new version.
Anyway, the first season of Sherlock is comprised of only three episodes, although each is about 90 minutes long.  They're supposed to be starting season two in early 2012, so I think people should check the show out now before the new season comes out.  Amy and I have both been really enjoying it.

And in the category of new stories that I don't really understand but which sound really important, some CERN researchers in Europe have measured the speed of neutrinos recently and determined that they seem to be moving faster than the speed of light.  Now I'm not going to pretend to understand all of the implications of this potential discovery (which still needs to stand up to a lot of peer review), but I do remember reading a  layman's book or two on physics and hearing that the speed of light was more or less a universally held upper limit and that it's pretty much been held as being inviolable.  I don't understand exactly how things will change if we find out that particles are moving faster than the speed of light, but it sounds as if some fundamental rules will have to be reexamined if it proves true.
On the positive side, it goes without saying if things can move faster than the speed of light, then that puts us one step closer to a Star Trek-like universe where we can zip around the galaxy one day in our space transports.  So I'm all for that.  Strap me in for a ride on the space bus!

Well, that's all that I have for now.

4 comments:

poetrymatters said...

Thanks for sharing.The more we come to know about this place in which we find ourselves the more mysterious it becomes, and the greater the possibilities!

J.S. said...

It definitely feels as if the more we learn about the universe, the more we realize that we have a long, long way to go in terms of truly understanding it. Thanks for the comment!

Our Family said...

Love Sherlock :-)

J.S. said...

We still have one more episode to go! I can't believe we only get three per season!