Monday, April 11, 2011

Source Code

Amy and I saw Source Code this weekend. I thought it was a pretty good movie. For those who don't know much about it, Source Code is a sort of sci-fi, time travel thriller starring Jake Gyllenhaal where the protagonist travels back in time in order to try to avert a terrorist attack. Hopefully without giving too much away, [spoilers?] I found Source Code to be a pretty tight, well written movie, more in the tradition, perhaps, of old Twilight Zone or even Hitchcockian writing than more modern big, splashy epics like Avatar. The sci fi elements of Source Code weren't really groundbreaking ( a whole lot has been done with the idea of time travel in recent years), but the writers did a good job of keeping you guessing about the movie's central mystery and about the nature of the situation itself right up until the end. I'm not sure that the character of Colter Stevens demanded tremendous depth in terms of acting, but Gyllenhaal played him well. Anyway, I don't want to say too much about the movie, but I enjoyed it, and I would recommend it. As is typical in terms of time travel movies, there might potentially be one or two plot points that are logically questionable (at least one of these is debated and explicitly discussed, actually), but I felt like the movie was definitely worth watching.

2 comments:

cardboardbelts said...

I was amazed at how fast you figured out the whole thing. Maybe you had seen it before? Maybe you had seen it a hundred times before? Maybe you are in the SOURCE CODE?!!? I just don't know anymore!

J.S. said...

I'm probably jumping back in time to try to avert some ridiculous future mistake on my part. Like failing to order popcorn. ;-)