Friday, October 29, 2010

Uhhh...

I got this link off of a web site that called ZEE... ZEE... ZEE... that my brother, Ryan, and his friend Randy have. I'm normally not the type of person to get especially freaked out by new technology, but this video actually gave me the willies. As I commented on ZEE... ZEE... ZEE..., it took me a while to even really understand what I was looking at on this clip, and once I realized what it was, I just felt sort of unsettled (probably because of the time that it took for me to figure things out).




I'm not sure the contents of this video represent a huge technological breakthrough in and of itself, but it's definitely a huge reminder that we are going to be facing all kinds of new issues in the ways that we interface with technology over the upcoming decades. Annnd, of course, you couple this thing with some of the rapid advances that computer scientists are producing in the field of artificial intelligence, and it just seems like things could get really interesting a lot sooner than most of us thought...

3 comments:

The League said...

As I said at the other site, there's something upsetting about the fact that the first "practical application" these guys thought of was not information desk clerk or ticket taker at the movies, but as companionship for the infirm. This is how much we don't like dealing with age or illness: we'd rather spend millions developing a robot to do the job of smiling and listening for us than do it ourselves.

J.S. said...

Yeah, well hopefully that particular "practical application" would never have survived inspection/approval by clinicians and caregivers. On the other hand, maybe a robot buddy is exactly what I'll need as I slip into old age. I can just imagine all of the wacky hijinks that we'd get into together.

The League said...

There was a show on briefly wherein people brought on their inventions and could get funding from a panel of judges. One of the guys brought on a box with a robot hand that would sort of move in an elliptical manner while the box looped a man's voice saying "Good dog. Good dog."

The judges seemed to know that was a terrible idea, but somehow this project moved forward...