Monday, February 01, 2016

Update

The weekend was pretty good! On Friday night we had dinner, and then Amy went over to her friend Heather's house to hang out with friends (I think they ended up watching a movie). I stayed home with Raylan (well, he was pretty much asleep the whole time).  I watched the first episode of the new X-Files miniseries. 
It was okay, but not it didn't really blow me away.  I mean, it was a passable X-Files episode, but it wasn't really outstanding, which ended up raising the question of why someone would resurrect a cancelled show after decades if they didn't have a really great script burning a hole in their pocket.
Anyway, I watched the first episode streaming through the on-demand service since I missed the live broadcast, which does not allow you to fast forward (it forces you to watch the commercials).  Then I got halfway through the next episode before accidentally starting the thing over when I hit the wrong button on my remote.  At that point I threw in the towel because I didn't want to watch the entire episode again from the beginning (no fast forward).  Instead, I watched Fury Road on HBO.  If Amy was going to hang out with her friends on Friday night, I would hang out with my homies, Immortan Joe, Imperator Furiosa, and Max.
On Saturday we got up, ate some breakfast tacos, and went on a walk to the park.  I went grocery shopping, and we took care of a couple of other chores.  I went to the gym. 
The weather was ridiculously nice, and thanks to the warm weather blowing in from the south, there wasn't even much cedar pollen in the air.  We opened to windows and spent a lot of time outside.
Saturday night we ate chicken chipotle sloppy joes that Amy had been cooking in the crockpot all day (yum!), and we watched Silicon Valley after Amy was in bed.
We're really enjoying that show.  It's really funny and never takes itself seriously, even though it definitely has some points to make about the tech world and its culture.




"Give me the signal when she's not looking, and I'll make a run for it."

"This grass is okay, but you know what would be really great?
If some ridiculous man would pick me up and carry me around on his should-"

"Yesss!!!"

(Raylan sports his international look)



(Cassidy- aging guard dog of Tejas Trail)
On Sunday I drove over and got us some bagels from Wholy Bagel for breakfast.  The place has been there forever, but Amy read about it recently on some web site and insisted that we try it out.  Good bagels!!  They have more of a legit New York style to them than some of the other bagels in town (harder on the outside and chewier in the middle).
We walked Raylan again and took him to the park.
Ryan and Jamie came over for lunch and we walked over to Central Markey with them.  The weather was nice, so we sat outside.  It felt really good to see them and catch up.  It had been a few weeks, given Raylan's various illnesses and whatnot.
We both exercised and took care of a few chores.
In the evening I went to band practice.  All five of us were there.
I ended up playing bass for the whole practice.  I got to finally use the new bass amp that Amy got me for Christmas.  It's a Fender Rumble 200, and it worked well.  It's got a good sound, the volume hung in there with the full band, and it's lightweight and easy to carry.  Thanks, Amy!
It was fun to play bass again.  I'm a better bass played than guitar player, I think, despite having played guitar for many years (I'll never be a very good lead guitar player- rhythm guitar is really the best I ever pull off).  Also, I'm pretty much incapable of singing while playing bass, so when I play bass I focus on just playing my instrument- which probably makes me better at it.
Anyway, it was a fun practice. 
We played songs that we haven't played in a long time, but after all of these years we're pretty good at falling back into our old grooves.  Jim ended up playing keyboard, and he sounded good.
And that was pretty much the weekend!


Hope all of you Austinites are enjoying this weird, mid-winter spring!

No comments: