Monday, May 12, 2014

Update

Well, this weekend was pretty good, all in all.  I drove Amy to the airport on Friday, and she flew out to Phoenix for the weekend to surprise her mom with an unannounced Mother's Day visit.  It sounds like Jean was genuinely surprised (Amy and I were both afraid that someone would let the cat out of the bag or that she would figure it out ahead of time).  Sounds like they had a really nice weekend together.
Back here in Austin, I had a pretty good weekend, myself.  On Friday I mostly hung out around the house.  I hung out at Mandy's a little bit on Friday night while Cassidy and her dogs played, and then I went home and ate dinner, watched TV, and went to bed (for dinner I had leftovers of this really good Mediterranean shrimp dish that Amy made last week).


(inadvertantly ended up at the farmer's market at
Republic Square Park during my bike ride)
On Saturday I got up and went to the grocery store and ran some errands. Afterward I went for a bike ride that was pretty long in Steanso terms.  I rode from my house through downtown and up through Hyde Park and up to 2222.  Then I rode back into downtown where I jumped one of the Capital Metro rapid buses and rode it back to the South Congress transit center.  Then I rode home.  It was a nice ride.  The weather was a little bit warm, but it was dry and there was a breeze.  Somewhere along the way I stopped off and had lunch.  All in all I rode about 18.3 miles.  I was feeling a little proud of my ride, but then I ran into four guys on fancy bikes who were on some sort of cycling team.  They told me that they were in the middle of a hundred mile ride.  I told them that I was only riding 18 miles, and it might involve drinking a beer at some point.  One of the guys threatened to quit the team and ride with me.  Anyway, that sorta put things in perspective, and from there on I just sorta kept pedalling and took in the scenery.
When I got home I took Cassidy to the park for a while and did a few chores.
That evening I drove out to see my folks.  We went to a local Italian restaurant near their house.  We had a nice time having dinner and catching up.  We sat outside enjoying some pleasant weather and watching turtles in a pond at the nearby golf course.

On Sunday, Ryan, Jamie, and I celebrated Mother's Day by going to church with Mom and Dad.  Afterward we joined Susan, Ciara, and Uncle Donald for lunch at Manuel's, a Mexican restaurant up off Jollyville Road.  We had a nice lunch, and it was good to catch up with everyone.
That afternoon I got some exercise and walked Cassidy.  Then Mom and Dad came by (they had been down in our part of town picking up a table and chairs from Ryan and Jamie).  For some reason we all went to Kohl's together.  I got a new wallet and a shirt.  We had a good time hanging out.
Then they went home, and I did a little bit of laundry and watched True Detective.  It's a good show, but it's very dark.  Amy keeps asking me if I'm enjoying it.  I definitely appreciate the show (the acting, the plot, the dialogue), but it would be sort of hard to characterize my appreciation as enjoyment.  It's kind of like asking someone if they "enjoy" Hamlet or other tragedies.  I definitely find True Detective compelling, but it's not exactly fun in a traditional sense.  I guess I watch it because the characters are interesting and because I feel like the show maybe has something insightful to say.
I ate a leftover turkey burger for dinner, and picked up Amy around 11:15 at night.  I hadn't been sleeping super well while she's been gone.  She came down the escalator, I kissed her smiling face, hugged her, drove home, and collapsed into bed, feeling that things were right again in the world.

That was my weekend!

Hope all is well for all of you.

2 comments:

Jean said...

It was the BEST surprise ever, and I can't really believe that no one told me! Thank you, thank you!!!

J.S. said...

So glad it worked well! It was fun even hearing about it!