Monday, February 25, 2013

Update

Hello!  Hope you guys are doing alright!  Did anyone watch the Oscars?  We didn't.  I totally forgot that it was on, to be honest.
(wandering around Hyde Park in search of cake.
The sign is older than the girl in front of it)
Anyway, our weekend was pretty good.  Thursday night I grabbed dinner with Ryan and Jamie.  Amy had to work late.  Amy and I did, however, get to go to lunch together on Thursday, and afterward we picked up a cake from Quack's that she brought to the office to share with coworkers.  Thursday night Jamie, Ryan, and I went to Rudy's and had some barbecue.  It was good to catch up. 
Friday night we took it pretty easy.  Amy got out of work sorta late.  We ate dinner and watched the first episode of Homeland.  Then we sorta passed out.  Amy had a long week, and I've been pretty busy, too.
On Saturday Amy had to go in to go to work, and I went to the store and did some grocery shopping.  At lunch time I picked up Amy from her office, and we went to go meet my parents at Z Tejas.  It was really nice to see them, and we had a good lunch.  Mom and Dad stay pretty darn busy with various social groups, church events, and activities these days, so between their kind of hectic schedule and our own, it's nice to be able to take advantage of opportunities to get together.  We had a good lunch.
Saturday afternoon Amy and I went on a bike ride.  The weather was beautiful, and it was a nice ride.  We rode down Bouldin into downtown.  One of Amy's former instructors from law school (the director from an environmental law clinic) was out in her front yard with her family, so we stopped by and said hi for a moment.  Nice family.  Cool house. 
Saturday night we went to a birthday party that one of Amy's friends from law school was having.  It was a nice get together.  Amanda and Robbie are good people, and the other folks at the party were friendly.  We had a nice time.  Amanda and Robbie are moving to California in August.  Sad to see them go.
Sunday we got up and went and had breakfast at Kerbey Lane.  In general, I probably prefer breakfast tacos, but I had a pretty good omelet, and it was nice to change things up.  Late Sunday morning and into the afternoon Amy went in to the office.  Sunday evening I got together with Reed to play some music (band practice had been cancelled, so we just got together to rock out on our own).  Afterward, Amy and I ate dinner.  Then we watched another episode of Homeland before bed.
I'm still not quite sure what to think of Homeland yet.  I like certain things about it, but I'm wary of a few other things.  They've been doing a pretty good job of building suspense, and the acting has been pretty good.  There's something about the show's basic premise- the notion that a Marine POW has been "turned" by a terrorist organization in order to carry out a mission in the U.S.- that strikes me as a little implausible and fancifully paranoid.
I'm probably (hopefully) speaking too soon.  I'm only two episodes in, and there's still plenty of time for the show to explain how and why this guy ended up working for the enemy.  Also, hopefully the show will evolve into something that looks a little more spy versus spy.  In the first couple of episodes it was basically a show where they were just carrying out surveillance on one guy who didn't really know he was being watched.  But now the characters are in place and pretty well established, so it'll be interesting to see how things move forward.
I'm definitely still intrigued.
Just seems like the bad guys maybe should have just been people with purely mercenary motives, clandestine foreign operatives, or U.S. citizens who started out with ideological beliefs that made them susceptible to being recruited by terrorists.  I'm still a little skeptical of the "heroic soldier turned traitor" thing.  It's interesting, but it may border on melodrama a bit.  Maybe.  I'm not sure.

Well, that's it for now!
Hope you guys have a good week!  Keep springing into spring!

No comments: