Monday, March 05, 2012

The Weekend

The weekend was good.  On Friday night Amy made dinner (it was some really good pasta, but I've been told I talk about food too much on this blog) and I went to see a late night screening of Dune at The Ritz Alamo Drafthouse with Ryan.  I had a good time.  I hadn't seen that version of Dune in quite a while (more recently I've watched the television miniseries a couple of times).  It was just as strange as I remember.  I definitely think there's still room out there for someone to make a different movie version of Frank Herbert's novel (one that emphasizes the universal human traits that appear in the book as opposed to Lynch's focus on its alien qualities and strangeness), but I think that the 1984 version is a really interesting one.
Saturday I just hung out with Amy, and we had a really nice day.  We went to breakfast, ran some errands, and went to see The Artist.
I liked The Artist.  Not exactly the best movie I've ever seen, but I liked it (I'm still a sucker for great dialogue).  It was a good idea for a movie, and I thought that it was extremely well executed.  It would be easy to dismiss the movie as gimmicky (why make a silent movie in the modern era?), but I thought that the movie's style actually served the theme and story of the movie very well.  If you're going to make a movie about the transition from silent movies to talkies (or, on a broader level, about anxieties regarding human adjustment to new technologies), what better way to present that theme than through a mostly silent movie which has, in the end, the ability to transcend the medium that it represents?
Also, it was just impressive to see some modern day actors put to the task of expressing themselves without words.  And there was a cute doggie.
I'm not ready, by any means, to see an onslaught of silent movies, but I thought that The Artist had a message to convey that made its silence a little more than a cheap trick.

On Sunday we went to church.  Then we tried to go to the kite festival, but it was a zoo, so we split.  Instead, we sat outside at Homeslice and had a couple of slices of pizza.  Beautiful day.  Had a really nice time having lunch with Amy.
Last night I had Mono Ensemble practice, and we rocked out.
And that was it.

Really nice weekend.  I love Austin in the spring.

2 comments:

Jean said...

You can never write too much about good food and good times.

J.S. said...

Hooray for Jean! BTW, it MIGHT have been the same person who makes so much good food who teased me about writing about food so much ;-)