Monday, January 16, 2012

The Weekend; Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

My weekend was pretty good.  On Friday night I played a gig with Mono Ensemble at The Carousel Lounge.  It was fun.  My parents came out to see us as well as some of my friends from work and a number of Amy's friends from the iSchool.  Our music sounded decent, and people seemed to enjoy themselves, so I was happy.
On Saturday night Amy and I went to the Violet Crown Cinema to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  I'd never been to The Violet Crown before, and it turned out to be a pretty cool place.  For those who haven't been, it's a sort of arthouse movie theater down on 2nd Street.  It's located up on the second floor, and the lobby area of the theater has a small restaurant and bar.  You can buy food and drinks to take into the movie, although the theater itself doesn't have a waitstaff or service (which can be a bit of a drawback- the seating is a little cramped for eating meals, and you're sort of stuck with your plates once you're done eating).  On the whole, though, I'd recommend the theater.  They have good seats, nice, small theaters, and it's nice to be able to get a beer, drink, or glass of wine and carry it into the movie with you.
And Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy turned out to be a good film.  I'd heard from several people that the plot was sort of difficult to follow, so I put myself on high alert and paid close attention to the unfolding of the cold war espionage tale.  I found it to be an interesting movie with an engaging story, and the acting was really strong.  Gary Oldman did a great job of portraying the subtle nuances of a character who is, both by nature and by training, disinclined to strong, overt displays of emotion.  Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong and others filled out a cast of supporting actors that put in extremely realistic, compelling performances, and Tomas Alfredson, as director, created a tense, suspense-filled spy film without ever really asking the audience to strain themselves in completely suspending their disbelief (a fact that was sort of on my mind in light of my recent viewing of one of the last Mission Impossible movies).
Anyway, I liked TTSS.  I liked The Violet Crown.  Amy and I had a good time.
After the movie we went to Opal Divine's to do some trivia with Heidi and Jaci.  We didn't quite win this time, but I continue to think of us as winners!  It was fun!  Hot drinks on the patio!!
Yesterday we went to church with my mom and dad, and afterward we went out to lunch.  It was good to have a chance to hang out with them!

Well, I guess that's it.  I had today off, too, but Amy and I mostly just ran errands.
Amy's cooking now, so I have to go!!
Hope you guys had a good weekend, too!

No comments: