Monday, June 12, 2017

Update

Hello!

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  Well, I know that not everyone did.  A friend of mine, Andy, had his father pass away over the weekend, so I'm thinking about Andy and his family today.

We had a pretty good weekend, though, and we're thankful for it.
It was one of our first summer weekends, or at least one of our first summer weekends that was sunny and nice.
On Saturday we went out to Steiner Ranch.  We went to visit my parents and to go swimming out at the Bella Mar pool (which is a truly great pool for little kids).
Raylan looooves the water.  It was actually a little bit cold for me (especially when we first got there and the air wasn't that warm yet), but he took to it instantly.

"I'm singing in the rain, Grandma!"

My intrepid family navigates the gauntlet of the Bella Mar
kids' pool.  
Bella Mar pool
After the pool we went back to my folks' house.  We took showers and ate lunch and Raylan went down for a nap.
In the afternoon, Amy and I snuck out to the Hill Country Galleria to go see Wonder Woman.

I enjoyed the movie.  It was fun.
I'm not sure I really thought it lived up to the hype, though (it's got a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and it's pulled in $205 million domestically in two weeks).
I thought it was an entertaining superhero movie and better than any of the recent incarnations of DC comic book heroes that have hit the big screen.
That being said, I didn't think it was as strong as a number of the Marvel movies, and I didn't think it was as good as most of Christopher Nolan's Batman films.
I'm glad that there's a solid superhero film out there which contains a strong, heroic female lead.  I truly am happy for this fact.
But I also feel like the social commentary imbued in many of the reviews of this movie have sort of overtaken the actual strength of the film.
I thought Chris Pine did a good job, and I thought that Gal Gadot actually did a better job than some are giving her credit for.  My complaints are more with the plot.  I felt like the entire finale of the movie not only fell flat, but was kind of a mess.  I felt like there were characters who added very little to the story, but who took up screen time.  I felt like the villains were underdeveloped and one dimensional.  I felt like the "love conquers all" theme was both a little trite as well as muddled and confused (especially given how many people Wonder Woman was willing to kill).
You can write off these complaints as irrelevant or dismiss them because, in the end, this is a "comic book movie", but I feel that this sort of treatment by critics is a bit arbitrary and selectively applied.
As I said, in the end, I had fun, though, and that's mostly the point.
But when the next superhero movie comes out, I'll be wanting to remind people where the bar has been set in order for a superhero movie to earn a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  And I don't think it's been set all that high...

After the movie, we picked up a very happy Raylan from Grandma and Poppa's house.
We got him home and got him to bed.

On Sunday we got up and went out to breakfast.
We exercised and played in the yard.
We did some grocery shopping and errands.

In the afternoon we went to the Dittmar pool.
It was a little crowded, but we had a good time.  Raylan "swam" for quite a while, and afterward he played on the playground.


Dittmar Pool



Snack time!!

Raylan teams up with some kids to work the water fountain
at the playground.

Amy made some really tasty chicken salad for dinner, and we all passed out.

That was the weekend!

It was good.  It felt very summery.





No comments: