Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving Holiday Update

Well, the Thanksgiving holiday has come and gone for another year.  I hope you guys had a good one.  I meant to post some sort of Thanksgiving message wishing everyone a nice time, but it all just passed by in a flash this year. 
At any rate, we had a really nice holiday.  We spent Thanksgiving out in Phoenix this year (well, Peoria, to be more precise), and we had a really nice time with Amy's family.  We stayed with Amy's parents, Jean and Greg, and, as usual, they were excellent hosts.  I had a very good time.  The food was delicious, the company was excellent, and everyone was very warm and welcoming.  It was a really good Thanksgiving.
On Thanksgiving Day Amy and her mother, along with her father and her grandparents, put together a really delicious meal.  We had stuffed jalapenos, a cheese ball, vegetables, dip, and maybe other things I don't remember before dinner (also some good beer made in Tempe called Kilt Lifter).  For dinner there were sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing with turkey sausage, green beans with mustard, rolls, some sort of (very tasty) brussel sprout salad, a cranberry dish, ham, and, of course, a really good turkey.  For dessert there was a chocolate pecan pie, a pumpkin cheesecake*, and a third pie that was also really good, but I can't remember exactly what was in it (something brown and sweet.  Molasses?  Cinnamon?  No, I don't think that's right.  Maybe.)
The food was all very good.
If it's weird of me to list the food, it's only because it was all very good and I want to be able to remember it. 
Amy's grandparents came over for dinner along with her sister and brother-in-law, her nephew, and some family friends, Dean and Sheila.
Over the Thanksgiving holiday we played music.  Amy's dad has a nice Martin guitar, as well as a ukulele, and Matt brought over his electric guitar, so we all took turns passing around instruments.  I went and saw Skyfall, the new Bond movie, with Greg, while Amy and her mother did some hiking and shopping.
We took walked with Amy's nephew as he rode his strider bike around on the hike and bike trails, and I got a chance to chat with Matt and Jerry a little bit.
We ate a nice meal at a good Vietnamese restaurant, and we popped in at the thrift shop where Amy's grandmother volunteers for the Lutheran church (which was fun).
It was a nice visit.
This Thanksgiving I was thankful for a lot of things.  I'm still thankful even after Thanksgiving, believe it or not.  I'm grateful for having Amy in my life, I'm grateful for my job, my health, and my family.  And this year I was thankful for the Davis family for being such nice hosts and including me in their holiday celebration.  I really appreciate it!  I had a good time.

Amy with her grandfather, Jerry

Amy with SuperScott

Greg and Amy work on learning some new ukulele tunes

Jean and Greg prep the bird

* Initially I stated that we had chocolate cheesecake.  I misspoke and it was, in fact, pumpkin cheesecake.  It was very good!  I am sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.  :-)

2 comments:

Jean said...

We loved your visit! Next time I promise we'll let you leave Peoria. :-)

J.S. said...

I had a good time in Peoria! I'd love to see some more of Phoenix, though. :-)