Monday, December 12, 2011

Update

Well, the past week has been pretty good. 
On Tuesday Amy and I joined a couple of her friends from the School of Information for a screening of The Ice Storm at The Blanton.  The event was a charity function for The Bat Cave, an Austin program aimed at mentoring young writers.  Rick Moody, the writer of the novel upon which Ang Lee's film was based, was in attendance.  It was a really nice evening.  I had never seen the film before, and I enjoyed it quite a bit -  the experience undoubtedly enhanced by having Moody around to explain some themes and nuances of the story and to field some pretty thoughtful questions from the audience.
On Wednesday Amy and I had dinner with Ryan and Jamie at 1st Wok, a pretty good Chinese place on Stassney that holds some real promise in terms of becoming one of the regular spots on our South Austin rotation.  It's always nice to find a good place near the house that we can get to with minimal hassle. 
Friday I went to an iSchool Christmas party with Amy where I met a few more iSchool folks, including both students and professors.  They seemed like a very likeable, amiable group.  We rocked to the sounds of The Banned Books (get it?  Band Books?  Nothing like librarian humor!) and had a drink or two.
Saturday I ran a few errands, and that night, after going out to dinner with Amy, I went to Ryan and Jamie's holiday party.  It was a nice evening.  Caught up with some folks that I hadn't seen in a while, and met a few new people.  It was a nice, festive evening, and the elves were merry.
Sunday involved some Christmas shopping (Amy and I went together- it's a whole different experience when you go with someone who actually likes to shop!), and then a whole lot of just cozying up at the house.

Anyway, that's the update, more or less.  It's been a good week!  Hope everyone is doing okay! 

No comments: