Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!
 
It's been a good year, and I have a lot to be thankful for.

(Somehow we worked our way from this to parade floats on 7th Avenue and lots of good football)

Here's the short list of stuff I'm most thankful for in 2011:

I'm very thankful to have Amy in my life.  She's a smart, funny, beautiful, fun person, and she's made my life better in so many, many ways.  I'm extremely thankful to be sharing my life with her.  I love you, Amy.

I'm very thankful for my job this year.  There are a lot of people out there who are struggling and suffering painfully during our economic downturn, and I'm very thankful to have a job that I both find find satisfying and which pays the bills.  I've liked my job for quite a while now, but the current economy makes me appreciate it even more.

I'm thankful for my friends and family.  Another couple of friends of mine, Laura Bennett Hague and Debra Goodlett, passed away this year.  I was extremely saddened to lose each of them, but, as with all deaths, it reminded me not to take any of the relationships and friendships in my life for granted.  It's fun to buy stuff and gratifying to achieve professional or personal successes, but our relationships with the important people in our life ultimately make us happy or unhappy, I believe. 

I'm thankful for the people I make music with.  Yup, I said it.  I don't care if it makes me a wuss.  As I've gotten older I've realized more and more that the opportunities to do what you really enjoy can be rare, and those chances can be even more infrequent when it takes a group effort to pull them off.  As of this year, the guys in Mono Ensemble have been playing for about twenty years together, and I've been playing with them for about twelve.  I've been playing with Crack for at least six.  Every time I play with either one of these bands I walk away from the experience just feeling in a better mood.  Music does many things for me, but at its base it provides an emotional release, and when you can pull off a tune in a satisfying way with a group of other people it just makes you feel good.  So thanks to the guys in Crack and Mono E, mi hermanos and musical teammates.  I hope we all keep making music together until we're old and gray and even more ridiculous.

I'm also thankful for Cassidy, who helps remind me that true happiness can always be found in the simple things.

That's it for now, I guess.  I'm thankful for other stuff, too, for sure, but this is a good start, and I should probably wrap it up while I'm ahead.

I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving!  No matter how you celebrate it, take a moment out to be thankful for the good things in your life!  Peace!!

No comments: