Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mental Health Docket Video

This video is a few years old (maybe 2008?).  It was made by an intern at the Travis County Mental Health Public Defender's Office.  It's meant to highlight the defender's office, but I think it also does a pretty good job of demonstrating the objectives and function of the Travis County mental health docket (aka, the "Special Reduction Docket") as a whole.  While the defense attorneys have a primary goal of protecting the rights and interests of their clients, and the prosecutor has a primary interest of safeguarding the people out in the community, I think everyone on the docket sort of works with an eye toward improving living situations and overall health so that future crimes won't occur. At our best, we try to combine treatment, social work, and accountability.  The idea (which I fully endorse) is that healthier people make the community safer. 
I'm posting this in case anyone out there hasn't seen it, but has an interest.  Hope this doesn't come off as too self aggrandizing.  I'm only a very small part of the video (and one cog in the program), but the docket has been a big part of my life for years now.  I'm happy and proud to have been a part of it!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...


Jas, Thanks for posting the video. I feel as if I already know a lot about the program, but this is a very good overview. Too bad it didn't give more credit to the county attorney's office which has to agree with it in principle, then make it work to everyone's benefit week after week. It is unique in that it does take a much more holistic view than normal criminal prosecution. I give credit to the county attorney's office and to you personally for making this work. Dad

J.S. said...

Thanks, Dad! I feel like it's perpetually a work in progress, but it's a good program!