Sunday, February 11, 2018


Hi! How are ya?  (This is a real question!  We have a comments section, folks!)
So, this wasn't really our best weekend.  I mean, not exactly tragic or anything, but Raylan got sick and the weather was sorta crappy.
On Thursday Mom and Dad took Raylan for the day.  He went to swim lessons, and it sounds like he had a good day.

Swimming with Javier
On Friday night we were planning to go out to dinner, but Raylan was really cranky and out of sorts. Facing the possibility of a screaming kid in a restaurant, we bailed on the dinner plan and ate at home.
On Saturday morning, Raylan woke up in a better mood.  We took him to get a haircut at this place near our house that specializes in kids' haircuts.  He had a pretty good time (well, relatively speaking- he still wasn't a big fan of scissors or clippers, but he liked the TV and the special chairs).

Dad, you gotta try this chair for your next haircut!!
Amy ran to the gym, and I hung out with Raylan for a bit.  We played and did art and went for a walk.

C'mon, Dad, just turn it on.  I can help with fixing these pipes!
After Amy got home and I went to the gym, she called me to tell me that Raylan had a fever.  It was a little surprising given that he had mostly been in a good mood all morning.  On the other hand, he had been in a bad mood the night before.
Anyway, we were supposed to be going over to Mom and Dad's pace that night to hang out with them and to see Ryan, Jamie, and Susan, but, instead, after Raylan's nap we spent the late afternoon and evening taking Raylan to the doctor.  Flu season has been hitting Austin really hard this year, and I called around to like 4 places before we could get him an appointment.  Then we went to the clinic for his appointment, and they told us it would be at least an hour and a half wait, and they wouldn't be able to test him for the flu, anyway, because they were out of tests.  So we drove over to a different walk in clinic, and managed to slip in as their last patient of the day as they were literally turning out the lights in the waiting room.  In the end the doctor didn't even test him for the flu, but said that, given the fever he had been running earlier, it almost surely was the flu.  He also didn't want to give him Tamiflu because he said it makes kids throw up and get diarrhea.  But he did write Tamiflu prescriptions for Amy and I so we wouldn't get the flu.

We got this cake to bring to Mom and dad's house for the dinner.
But we didn't make it to dinner.
But we still ate some cake.
On Sunday Raylan woke up fever-free.  It had gotten really cold overnight.  We didn't have any groceries left in the house, so we bundled up and went to La Posada for breakfast.

The Adventures of Steanso and Flu Boy!
I went to the grocery store.  Afterward I took care of Raylan for a bit while Amy ran some errands.

Raylan gets victory cake after successfully using the potty
like 7 times.

We laid low most of Sunday.  We had bad weather, and we weren't sure how Raylan was doing (he was periodically still acting weird).  We wanted him to get rest.

Sunday night I went over to Reed's house for a bit to play some music with him and Jim.

And that was the weekend.  Not exactly terrible, but we had a sick kid who was sometimes cranky and sometimes hyper, and we had weather that mostly kept us all in the house.
We were all sorry to miss the chance to go to dinner at Mom and Dad's, but... oh well.  Next time.

Have a good week!

No comments: