Friday, November 01, 2013

Hitched!

Amy and I got married this weekend.

It's sort of weird to write a blog post about it because there's no way that one of my lame ol' blog posts will do the experience justice.  Still, I have a tradition of trying to document big events in my life on this site, so I feel the need to give it a try.

First off, let me say that it feels really amazing to be married to Amy.  She's a warm, beautiful, funny, intelligent, strong woman, and as we went through the events of the weekend, I looked at her time and time again and felt unbelievably fortunate to be marrying her.  I still can't believe it.  She's the love of my life and my best friend.
I love you, Amy.



Amy's family arrived in town on Thursday from Phoenix.  Along with my parents, we met Amy's family at the airport.  Heidi and Matt, Amy's sister and brother-in-law, stayed with my parents out in Steiner Ranch, so they loaded their kids, Scott and Nathan, into the car and headed out to northwest Austin.  Amy's parents had rented a vacation home in a neighborhood close to our house, sort of in the Barton Hills area.  We headed over to the rental house to meet up with Amy's grandparents, Jerry and Carol, who made the two day drive to Austin from Phoenix.


(post coffee smiles)
We got them settled in, and had a nice dinner at Hyde Park Grill that night.  Afterward Amy's parents and grandparents stopped by our house for some coffee and some pumpkin bread.  I had a nice time catching up with everyone.






(we took Matt the Teacher to see
Matt the Electrician)
On Friday night, Amy and I, determined to give Matt a "true Austin" experience, took he and Greg and my dad over to Strange Brew to hear some music.  We went to see Matt the Electrician, whom we had never seen before, joined by special guest Lex Land.  It was a fun night.  Both performers did sort of singer-songwriter style sets, and they both had interesting music and good voices.  Matt the Electrician's music had lyrics which alternated between earnest, poignant, and funny, and Lex Land had a sort of jazzy vocal style with a catalog of tunes which, she admitted, seemed to dwell on heartbreak an awful lot.
The guys at Strange Brew do a great job of balancing and mixing sound, and the show sounded great.  We had a nice time.  The medium sized crowd seemed happy and entertained.  Hopefully it was a good Austin music experience for Greg and Matt.  They seemed to enjoy it.

On Friday Amy joined her mother, sister, and grandmother out at my folks' house for some hangout time with Scott and Nathan.  I joined, Ryan, Dad, Jerry, Greg, and Matt for lunch at Curra's and then we went to see Captain Phillips.  I enjoyed the movie.  I found the story compelling and the acting solid.  There have been some allegations about the film's accuracy, but I've read the director's response to the complaints, and it sounds to me like he did just about everything that a person could do in terms of trying to preserve the historical integrity of this kind of movie (i.e., all of the crew except one were interviewed for the film, the primary military responders were interviewed.  It sounds likely that any complaints about the film's version of events may be the product of crew members who have filed lawsuits against the corporate owners of the Mersk Alabama- people who might have a financial stake in a different version of events). 
At any rate, it's a pretty amazing story.



(party on the patio!)
Friday night we went out to my parent's house for a dinner with Amy's family and my own.  Ryan, Jamie, Susan, Ciara, and Uncle Donald were all part of the assembly.  Mom and Dad had a local restaurant deliver lasagna and a chicken pasta dish along with salad and dessert.  They even had a guy show up and play steel drums for a while (turns out they had met him at a party they had been to this summer).  We talked and played with the kids and ate food and just hung out.  It was a very nice evening!


Saturday the women from our two families went to get manicures and pedicures.  I went with my dad over to his barbershop and got a pre-wedding haircut and a beard trim.  Saturday evening Amy went out to dinner with her family, and I went over to Ryan and Jamie's house with my parents to watch the UT-TCU game.  It was a good game, but a storm rolled into the Fort Worth area during the first half, and there was a rain delay that lasted almost three hours.  I didn't make it to the end of the game.  Knowing that I needed to get married the next morning, I left before the delay was over and headed home.  Still, I had a fun time hanging out with my family the night before the wedding.  I even drank some Scotch!  (gracias, Roundball!)
Late Saturday night it rained and thundered.  We were a little worried that it would be pouring rain during our wedding ceremony, but eventually the rain stopped and things cleared up.
Our wedding ceremony was really nice.  It was out at Chapel Dulcinea, which is sort of out in the Driftwood Area.  It's a little chapel up on a hillside, and it's quite scenic.  Judge Jan Breland, an old friend of mine since my earliest days of criminal practice, was our officiant.  She did a really good job, and it was nice to have someone who genuinely cares about us doing the ceremony.



(ringing the bell at Chapel
Dulcinea)
Our wedding was very nice.  It was perfect for us.  We didn't want a big wedding, not because we don't value our friends (of course we do!), but, to be honest, because the idea of having performing a ceremony in front of an audience sort of made both of us nervous.  We got married while surrounded by family, and the relatively short ceremony was conducted by an old friend.  The setting was very pretty. 







(Amy celebrates while I respond to
a well-timed congratulatory text
from my friend, Lee)
Sunday afternoon Amy and I joined our photographer in Butler Park to take a few more pictures.  We didn't do engagement pictures or anything like that, but we had hired a photographer for the day, so we figured that we ought to try to take advantage of the opportunity and have some nice pictures taken of us as a couple.  Eventually I'll post some of the wedding and post-wedding pictures (right now the photographer has most of them).










(Sunday Salt Lick with the family)
Sunday evening we went to the Salt Lick and had barbecue with our families.  It was a fun, relaxed meal.  It felt good to just sort of unwind with our peeps after having finally tied the knot and put the ceremony behind us.  We ate and drank and played with the kids, and everyone seemed to have a good time.

And that was basically it.  I had taken Monday off work, so Amy said goodbye to her parents before they headed to the airport, and then we spent some time just cleaning up the house, decompressing, and hanging out.

Our wedding was really nice.  It was small and relaxed, but felt very special at the same time.  We wanted to get married in an intimate setting without a lot of fanfare, but still have the people in with us who have supported us the most throughout our lives.  Thanks to both of our families for being part of the experience and for helping to make it such a great weekend.  We love you guys.

I love you, Amy!

4 comments:

Ryan Steans said...

congrats, to you both. It was a great weekend. A hundred years of happiness (in a row) to you both!

J.S. said...

Thanks! Thanks to you (and everyone else who was there) for making it so good!

Jean said...

What a wonderful post! It was a beautiful wedding weekend. Now the adventure really begins -- wishing both of you all good things. xooxx

J.S. said...

Thanks for being part of our wedding, Jean! Excited to have you guys here and become part of the family!