Monday, May 07, 2012

The Weekend

Hey!

So the weekend turned out to be really good.  Friday afternoon Amy had her capstone project for The School of Information, so I went over there to check it out (my family stopped by as well).  For those who aren't familiar (I wasn't), the capstone project involves that basically spans a semester.  At the end of the semester, the students have an event where they create a poster that summarizes their work, and they hang out to answer questions and explain the project.  some of them had laptops or other visual aids to use as a demo.  As a point of comparison, the presentation style is a little like the model that we used for science fair when we were in high school except that most of the capstone projects weren't scraped together four hours before they were due, and the capstones aren't ripped off from encyclopedia articles with the heading of "Science Fair".
Anyway, I thought that the capstone event was really cool.  The iSchool kids had some interesting projects, and it was fun to walk around, see what people had been working on, and then talk to them about their stuff.  The capstone event managed to be both social and informative and actually a lot of fun.  It was much livelier than I had imagined when Amy first described it to me.  At the end there was a small reception, and then Amy and I joined my parents for an early dinner.

Saturday we exercised and did a little shopping.  I took a bike ride.  Amy did some school work.

Saturday night we had some friends over for Cinco de Mayo and to celebrate the end of the semester for Amy and her friends.
(Jaci, Christine, Heidi, and Josh chat as things wind down.
Somehow it didn't occur to me to snap any pics until it was already
 pretty late.  I did a slightly better job of making margaritas...)
It was a very nice evening!  Amy made some really good food and drinks (chicken and shrimp tacos, guac, queso, margaritas, sangria, etc.), and we had a nice chance to hang out with friends and family.  Just a very pleasant evening.  Thanks to everyone who came!
 
We were all wrapped up and cleaned up by about 1:00 a.m..  Then a thunderstorm rolled in with some truly spectacular lightning and thunder, and I couldn't fall asleep until almost 3 in the morning.  Good to get the rain, but those Central Texas storms are intense.

On Sunday we had a pretty laid back day.  Or at least I did.  Our cable and internet had been knocked out by the storm, and they didn't come back on until the middle of the afternoon, so I was forced to read books and play guitar.  It was positively medieval!  Actually, it was nice.  Amy went up to the law school to do some work, and I went for a bike ride.  In the evening I had Mono Ensemble.  Good practice.  We're learning a few new songs in anticipation of our upcoming gig on July 13th at The Carousel.  I hope to see you there!
And that was the weekend.
It was very nice and over all too quickly.  I hope everyone else had a nice one, too.

No comments: