Sunday, January 16, 2011

McCain in the Washington Post

As a sort of quick follow up to my last post, I'd like to link to this Washington Post editorial by John McCain.
McCain doesn't abandon his political beliefs here, but he acknowledges the need for civility, and he commends President Obama for giving a speech memorial speech in Arizona that sought to unify the country in the wake of the shootings rather than simply assigning blame. He goes on to call Obama a patriot, and he rejects critics who have called Obama unworthy of the office of president.
The whole thing just sort of reminded me why I used to have a great deal of respect for John McCain (I'll admit that some of his rhetoric lately has turned me off a bit, but he takes some responsibility for that sort of thing in this piece as well). I'm not saying that I always agreed with McCain's politics, but over the course of his career he's often seemed like a fair minded leader who was willing to respect his opponents, even while struggling fiercely against them (and despite the protestations of his critics on the far right, McCain has been a very effective senator, and he was a pretty strong candidate during the presidential election).
Anyway, I thought McCain showed a lot of class here, and I really, really hope he doesn't get raked over the coals by his peers on the right for writing this piece.
I also hope that there's some substance to the idea that these shootings could represent some sort of a turning point. I'm not saying I think it's likely, but I remain sort of hopeful.

2 comments:

Paul Toohey said...

I used to feel the same way about McCain until he forgave Bush for Bushes dirty politics. Bush did some horrible things when him and McCain were rivals in the primaries, unforgivable things. McCain should have never forgave him.

J.S. said...

Maybe. I'm not sure. Anyway, I liked what McCain had to say here, and I think it took a bit of courage because there are certainly some people on his own side of the aisle who will try to string him up for it.