Wednesday, June 18, 2008

So it's hump day. Austin is still blazin hot, and it'll be a freakin' miracle if we get any rain any time soon.
I watched some of the American Film Institute's Ten Top Ten last night (top 10 movies in 10 different categories). I was disappointed that Miller's Crossing wasn't listed as one of the top 10 gangster flicks of all time. I know that Miller's Crossing has a sort of cult following that's given it a sort of indie-underground feel (which is largely, I think, because it's a Coen Brothers movie-I certainly don't think it has the look of a low budget, underground movie), but I rate Miller's Crossing up there in my top 10 or 15 movies of all time, and I think that it's consistently underrated and under appreciated (I love the cinematography, the dialogue, the acting, and the direction in this movie- some might say that it's too derivative of other films to earn its own spot amongst the top 10 gangster flicks, but I think that it pays homage to earlier gangster films and perfects many of their techniques. Most importantly, I think it's a story and a script that stands on its own as a remarkable work of art).
There are many questionable calls and potential omissions on AFI's list, but I guess that what makes it fun- having the opportunity to argue about what makes a film great. One thing that occurred to me as I watched this special was that the movies that comprised this particular selection of top tens seemed to be films that might appeal to different generation than our own. I'm not saying that these aren't pretty much all great films, but I think that the movies that constitute the best of a particular category might not be the same for one generation as opposed to another. Maybe Generation X isn't looking for the same things in its mysteries or its gangster movies that the Baby Boomers were looking for. And what's going to count as a category for animation in another 10 years when computer graphics make up a huge part of what we see on screen for a large variety of movies in different genres?
Anyway, I only watched part of the special, but it made me realize that there are still a lot of classic films out there that I haven't seen.

Well, things are busy and I have a lot to do. Hope you guys are enjoying the summer sun.

No comments: